Job Title: News Assistant
Working For: DeHavilland
Salary: 19,304 plus benefits
We are recruiting for the role of News Assistant to join our Editorial Team. This role is to be filled as soon as possible and would suit a graduate considering a career in politics, public affairs or journalism. The position will allow the successful candidate to develop their knowledge of UK and EU politics and processes, as well as their IT and organisational skills.
Job description and responsibilities:
- Assist with a range of editorial work, principally with the operation of our Newsdesk in sourcing and categorising UK and EU political news content
- Produce EU daily and weekly updates, including political planning documents for clients
- Manage our forward planning database with information about political events
- Produce live coverage of debates and votes of the European Parliament
- Provide support with editing process to ensure that written work is grammatically correct by using appropriate standards and writing styles in a clear and concise manner
- Assist with maintaining our market-leading PeoplePoint database of politician biographies and contact details
- Assist with maintaining our technical processes for sourcing information
- Contribute to political research projects and briefings as directed by the Head of Content
Key skills and qualities:
- A degree/postgraduate degree, preferably in European Studies, Politics or a related discipline
- Knowledge of the EU institutions and British politics
- Confidence in using MS programmes and content management systems
- Ability to manage large amount of content and appropriately utilise categorisation systems
- First class writing skills and an eye for detail
- Experience of working to tight deadlines and under pressure
- Ability to multi-task on a routine basis
- Basic knowledge of HTML (desirable)
- Knowledge of InDesign and web design/editing (desirable)
- Self-sufficiency and excellent self-motivation
- Ability to pursue innovation and improve processes
Based in London and Brussels, DeHavilland is the leading provider of political insight and intelligence on the UK and EU. We provide fast, accurate and relevant information on the latest developments shaping policy and legislation in the UK and EU. We put our clients at the heart of the political agenda by providing mission-critical information and analysis.
DeHavilland is a signatory to the Mindful Employer Charter.
Closing Date: 28 April 2017
We reserve the right to appoint before the application closing date.
Please send a CV and covering letter, describing your interest in the role and your suitability, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use ‘News Assistant Application’ as the subject line of your email.
Please note that due to the large number of applications expected, only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
The DeHavilland Editorial Team
DeHavilland's Editorial Team is dedicated to bringing clients informative and timely political information in a format that suits their needs.